June 1, 2011
The Arts Writers Grant Program, presented by Creative Capital and The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, aims to support writers whose work addresses contemporary visual art through project-based grants given to individual authors.
About the Creative Capital – Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant Program
Designed to encourage and reward writing about contemporary art that is rigorous, passionate, eloquent and precise, as well as to create a broader audience for arts writing, the Arts Writers Grant Program aims to strengthen the field as a whole and to ensure that critical writing remains a valued mode of engaging the visual arts. By honoring a variety of formats including articles, blogs, books, short-form writing projects and new and alternative media, the program addresses a range of contemporary discourse, from general-audience criticism to academic scholarship. Approximately twenty to twenty-five grants are awarded annually, ranging from $3,000 to $50,000 depending on the needs and scope of the project.
All writers who meet the eligibility requirements are free to apply. To be eligible, an arts writer must be:
▪ an individual
▪ an art historian, artist, critic, curator, journalist, or practitioner in an outside field who is strongly engaged with the contemporary visual arts
▪ a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of the United States, or possessor of an O–1 Visa
▪ at least twenty-five years old
▪ a published author (specific publication requirements vary depending on grant category). Work published in college newspapers and undergraduate student-run publications will not be considered for this requirement.
All proposals will be evaluated based on:
▪ their appropriateness for the Arts Writers Grant Program, given its mission and guidelines;
▪ the capabilities of the applicant to realize the project effectively;
▪ the feasibility of the project
The review process has two steps
Step One: Each applicant is reviewed by the program’s director and one or more outside evaluations.
Step Two: Selected applications advance to a final panel round (panelists’ recommendations receive final approval by the board of creative capital.)
Evaluators and panelists are chosen for their knowledge of and expertise in the fields of contemporary visual art and arts writing.
Submit completed applications by June 8, 2011.
Notification of applicants advancing to final review
September 15, 2011
Announcement of grants: December 1, 2011
For more information, please visit artswriters.org or contact by e-mail at email@example.com